Saturday, November 15, 2008

We are officially post transplant

I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to get here. I was not given good information about my recovery... more on that later.

Katie is doing VERY well. She is progressing as well as possible. Her creatinine is all the way down to 0.7 and folks that's the creatinine of a normal health person born with two normally functioning kidneys. They have been able to disconned the aterial line that was being used to track blood pressure, and have also taken her off of oxygen. I have been over to see her 3 times now.. I think. There hasn't been any discussion of her getting out of the PICU and this is really a monitoring issue. Dr. M still wants her oxygen saturation monitored constantly and her blood pressure monitored more often than the every 4 hours they typically do on the floor. She hasn't really said what it is that she's waiting for that she'll loosen those restrictions. However, we're fine with that because since we've been here we've remembered how good the care is in the PICU and she does have one of the isolation rooms so it hasn't been bad.

My recovery has been much more difficult than we anticipated. We were told 1-2 days hospitalization... well that must have been for when Superman donated a kidney. I have had a LOT of trouble with gas pain. They blow up your belly with gas during laprascopic procedures so they have room to work and they will tell you that they get it all out before the finish but they are full of malarkey LOL. I'm hoping to convince them to spring me today but I'm not optimistic since I still needed IV pain meds last night. In the event I do get sprung I need to go home to my own bed to repair my back as it has been killing me since day 2. None of the chairs here have any lower back support and the beds... well they're just awful.

There have been a lot of issues with my care but I'll have to try to remember to get into them later because... my back is killing me in this computer chair.

All the thoughts and prayers are and have been very appreciated. I'll try to update again when I can.

I apologize for any typos.

5 comments:

Aunt Helen Magellan said...

My Dear Sweet Amycakes, You and Katie are in my prayers. I wish, hope and pray you both well. Please know that I love you and even though I can't be there for you in body, I am in spirit. I'm rubbing your back and hugging Katie. Love you Amycakes. Aunt Helen

Roxanne said...

Amy & Katie,
Our thoughts & prayers are with you both. We are soo glad for the successful transplant. Praying for healing for you both & fantastic solitary kidneys working for good :-). Take care, rest, & heal up. With Love,
Roxanne & Remington

Erin said...

The PHMS community is so happy that the surgeries were a success!

Katie- We really miss you and can't wait to have you back. Your friends and teachers wish you a speedy recovery!

Marta Campos said...

Congratulations! I hope you start feeling better really soon and that Katie continues to recover well!!

Take care.

Unknown said...

Amy-I'm glad Katie is doing so well. I hope your pain is better today. I wish you both speedy recoveries. Mary (SSA)