Monday, November 3, 2008

Pre-op Testing

Today was pre-op testing. Another day of living through how disjointed the hospital is and trying not to let it upset me... I didn't do a very good job. We arrived at the "PREP" center and were given forms to fill out as if they'd never known us before. An admissions rep (in a fabric walled off area in the waiting area where everyone can hear her) "confirmed our information." Then Katie was called to the back, we insisted that I go along but that rattled them. We weren't sure that the additional labs that Dr. M wanted were ordered so we had to try to reach someone in her office which took a while. Someone from anesthesia came in and he seemingly had no information from Dr. Bellefleur (Katie's personal anesthesiologist who I had spoken with Friday evening), and was guessing at what meds she should and shouldn't take the morning of surgery. He used phrases like "I understand we're considering possible transplant," and "I would figure," "seems as though." Those are phrases that I don't tolerate, either you know what you're talking about or I have no use for you, there are enough people in this process already. A few sentences in with him and someone came to get me so I left Steve to deal with him. I had blood drawn, gave a urine sample, then anesthesia popped in and said she needed to review my chart (wow what a concept) and would I like to wait with my daughter (again, wow.) They were finishing up with the anesthesia idiot, who ended up getting rather snippy with me because he was just making things up about what meds should could and couldn't take, he didn't want her to take the Lexapro but Dr. B and I had gone through her meds one by one with her giving me instructions, the only one that was/is still in question is the Lisonpril but Dr. B said Dr. M would instruct us on that. It's awful to have to ignore doctors but the communications just stink there.

Katie was visibly run down and tired all day. She's having dizzy spells when she stands up from sitting or lying. It's hard to watch. She just laid back on the exam table the whole time we were in the PREP center.

My anesthesia person came in and was well informed, ran though my history, asked a few questions, listened to my lungs and heart, and that was it. We resolved the blood draw issue and were off to transplant services. We had arrived at the PREP center at 8:10 and we didn't leave until almost 11.

We went over to transplant services. I had to see the financial person, and the social worker. Then we met with Dr. Character (LOL)... I mean Dr. Schweitzer, Katie's transplant surgeon. He's such a character. Katie asked where her incision would be and he drew it on her in pen, which was actually really cool. He went through a lot of risks with us, both from the surgery and after the surgery. It was really nice have that be an open relaxed converation, usually we get that info from a resident who's anxious to be done with us. This was a real thoughtful conversation where we got complete information not just terms thrown on a piece of paper and speedily read back to us.

When we got home I immediately took off to do my magazine job, then went to pick Katie up from Dr. Gallagher's office. When I got home there was a message from Nancy in Dr. M's office about the labs. She said they are pretty much unchanged. Potassium is still at 5.4. But she said that Dr. M seemed ok with that??? We're confused because Dr. M told Steve that it HAD to be 5.0 or below or anesthesia could refuse to put her under. And she didn't tell us if we should continue to do two flushes per day or not. She also said we should discontinue the Lisonpril on Sunday?? So I left a message in her voice mail asking for clarification on the Potassium issue, and asking if she should take the Lisonpril on Sunday or if Sunday is the first day of no Lisonpril.

We're pretty sure that Katie won't be going back to school before her surgery, at least not full days. There are only 5 days of school before her surgery, and they are the first 5 days of the 2nd marking period, the rest of which she will miss anyway.

As I mentioned above, Katie is really not feeling well. She's drained, tired, dizzy, and just generally doesn't feel well. When she's home she just lays in her bed watching tv, or doing sedate things in her bed. She's taken to carrying her blankie around with her everywhere she goes. It's hard to watch but everyone keeps telling us those are the things that will change immediately after the surgery as long as the kidney "takes."

So that's where we are, any questions ask away...

2 comments:

Vicky said...

I know she must have been drained. What dosage of lisinpril was/is she on? I started taking 20mg a day and now for last several moths I am on 10mg. a day.

:) You may not remember. It's been awhile.

Amy said...

I'm sorry, you're right I don't remember. I'm actually terrible at remembering all of her med doses that's why I have a spread sheet I take everywhere that I can just hand to people.