Monday, November 10, 2008

The Last Snag... we hope

I'm just about typing through tears so bear with me.

I just got off the phone with Dr. M (nephrologist.) And quite honestly I'm just going to repeat what she said because I don't really understand this very much. Part of the blood from the last blood draw (on 11/3) was used to do a final cross match (mixing of my blood with Katie's). This time the result showed an antibody that Katie has had for sometime reacted with my blood. In the previous cross match that antibody was there and yet didn't react. She has consulted with Dr. S (peds transplant surgeon) and the director of the lab at the hospital, as well as colleagues at other transplant centers. The general consensus is that this is a non-issue. However, she would like more information. Katie and I are off to the hospital in the morning (well one of the office buildings down there) to have blood drawn. They will run another cross match with some of each of our blood, as well as running one with two samples of Katie's blood. If this antibody reacts with itself in Katie's own blood then this is definitely a non-issue. If that doesn't happen and it reacts again with my blood then Dr. M will discuss this with Dr. S and they may decide that they want to do some antibody lowering treatments which would mean that we have to postpone the surgery. There isn't any indication by any of the professionals that this will mean my kidney won't be the one we use for the transplant.

I can't imagine what it will do to this family if this surgery has to be postponed.

1 comment:

Marta Campos said...

Hi Amy,

I hope this is a non-issue and that you're on your way to the OR soon!

Marta (from Nephkids)