Sunday, November 16, 2008

Moving right along

I'm sorry that I'm unable to be more communicative. Since I was released I use all my daytime energy to help occupy and take care of Katie, and by dinner time I'm exhausted and can just work on getting home, eating, relaxing a bit and sleeping.

Katie continues to do very well. Her kidney function has gotten even better than yesterday. They discontinued her IV fluids today and as long as she's able to take enough fluids by drinking they will keep that disconnected. That means that in between infusions of meds still being given by IV she isn't connected to an IV. The plan for today had also included removing the central line IV, although it hadn't yet been done when I left around 5pm. The ICU attending doctor is trying to convince Katie's team to remove the foley cathether that is draining her bladder constantly and apparently everyone is point at each other on who will make the final call on that.

One of the two immunosuppressant meds (Prograf) is adjusted based on blood levels. Her Prograf level has come up very quickly which is a good thing, they have actually been decreasing her Prograf level. Also they have already begun to taper down her steroid (prednisone) dosage, which is very releaving to me and other members of my family who have lived through long term high doses of prednisone.

Her nurse gave her a "spa day" today, they washed her hair (with a special hospital stuff that didn't seem to do a great job but it made her feel better) and gave her a bath in bed. The nursing care has really been super in the PICU.

Well, my belly hurts and my back hurts so I'm off to bed.

1 comment:

Maggie H said...

Hi Mrs. judlick,
sorry to hear that things are not going all well for you as for Katie. You and Katie are in our thoughts every day. Please let Katie know we asked about her and we miss her smilin face. If there is anything I can do please let me know. I can make a wonderful baked apple chciken for the family and pretty awesome cakes. Hope you get out soon.
Maggie School nurse PHM