Saturday, December 20, 2008

We're Still Inpatient

This has been our second to worst hospitalization ever in the history of the over 30 hospitalizations.

I'm going to try to cut and paste some of the details from some emails I've been able to get out here and there. Please forgive the typos, and please feel free to leave knowing the following:
-this place stinks (and it smells bad too)
-residents are a pain in the ... neck
-I fear for the future of medicine
-we have NO CHANCE of going home before Monday afternoon and more likley Tuesday afternoon
-if we do get out of here Monday we have to come right back on Tuesday anyway

If you want details, read on...

Thursday 12/18:
First they wanted to draw her blood at 7am and she had taken her prograf at 8pm the night before so it was going to be a bad result so I refused it. Later I got the real explanation on why they wanted to draw her blood early, it was a perfectly good explanation but they didn't know why they were just doing what they were told and when they were questioned instead of saying they were acting on an order from Dr. M they just said "this is what we usually do".. that may be fine for other parents but I know that this is a new batch of residents who just got onto peds a week ago so don't tell me about your "usually" you just got here...ugh. I told Dr. M had they given me the reasonable explanation I would have gladly let them draw her blood earlier and she agreed that I was right to delay them to the time I had previously been told without the explanation.

Getting her meds ordered properly was a two day affair, and people let me tell you, I have a spread sheet of her meds with EVERYTHING on it that I hand to a resident and a nurse, and anyone else who asks about her meds. However even by Thursday morning her Prograf (that HAS to be given ON TIME) wasn't on the floor in time so I had to give it to her out of our meds from home. And her prednisone wasn't ordered (gave that to her from our home stash as well), and they were delayed in getting her Concerta to the floor.

Then there is the ongoing problem of getting her bowel flush solution. I started giving them the list (2 things) of what we needed at 3:30 Wednesday afternoon and by 9pm that night it still wasn't on the floor. Thursday morning the barely english speaking nurse from Wednesday night night said that it did come up but she was confused by the wording so she sent it back. So at that point that wasn't resolved for Thursday evening, but here's the funny part. They told us that the pharmicist would be in to discuss it with us because they're confused. (and please let me tell you what we need... we need one 500ml bag of 3% saline (they mix different concentrations of saline ALL THE TIME), and a bottle of liquid glycerin that they use for medication suspensions (making a pill into a liquid)) I wasn't there when the pharmacist came so Katie handled it LOL. she was right on the money with what she told them. She said she had to repeat herself like 3 times before they got it.

The biggest problem then and now is that Katie is on what they call contact precautions, everyone who comes in to her room has to wear a gown and gloves, and she can't go to the teen room where she LOVES to hang out and do stuff, they have a wii, ps2, xbox, movies, crafts, computers, etc. so that's really upsetting her. They bring stuff to her and we bring stuff from home but it's not the same, she's pretty much confined to her room. We can go for walks if she wears a gown and gloves but that's only so fun.

The best part about Thursday was it was pet therapy day and they brought the dogs to Katie's room since she couldn't go to them.

I'll try to get more details out later but this computer/internet connection is threatening to not save my post and well that would annoy me.

No comments: